Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Governor's Crème Fraîche

Ah, the sauce category. So far, it's been odd mixtures of dairy, often very much on the bland side. And at least one of the sauces was a giant PITA to make . So it was nice to see this recipe for the Governor's Crème Fraîche. I don't know who the governor is or what state he governed, but he (she?) has good taste in sauces.
I have to note that this is one "American Dessert" that is certainly much easier to make in France than in the United States. In fact, I skipped the recipe for making my own crème fraîche because it's so easy to find here, and so delicious. See below.

On your left, you have the "Crème Fraîche Legère" (20%) from the supermarket. I use it instead of sour cream. On the left, you have the real deal: crème fraîche from the fromager (cheese shop/stand) at the outdoor market. As the gentleman was scooping up my crème fraîche (can I just say what a pain that is to type?), I remarked in my best caveman French, "Mister, that crème fraîche resembles not at all that of the supermarket!" To which he replied, "You bet your boots, honey!" or something of that ilk. But it's true. This is the good stuff.

So now I'm about to add more good stuff to the good stuff. Not much to go wrong with--lightly sweetened, vanilla-scented, just a touch of nutmeg.

Mmmm. Bliss on a spoon. But really, it would be nice to have more than a spoon to eat this with. Since it's so rich and sweet, I decided to go with fruit.

That fruit turned out to be stewed plums--see the stewed peaches recipe; add a cinnamon stick. That was yummy. We still had some left and found that it was delightful on banana pancakes. There was still some left (because we like to go easy on the cream, strangely enough), so I made some applesauce and ate the last of it with that. Perfect.

I would make this again. I probably will, since I have that delicious stuff within relatively easy reach. If you're in the States, you can make your own crème fraîche, or you can buy it--Costco usually has family-sized tubs.

Here's the recipe. Try to enjoy it in moderation.

The Governor's Crème Fraîche

1 c. (8 0z.) crème fraîche
3 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Mix together. Eat right away or let chill. Serve with something fruity and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment