Monday, August 10, 2009

Good idea--can we do it?

So I'm the sister in the previous entry. I do read food blogs all the time, and have made feeble attempts at writing one, but I just got too lazy busy to keep it up. So I'm glad my big sister has thrown down the big baking challenge! I think a lot of people have forgotten about Maida Heatter, what with Dorie Greenspan and David Lebovitz and Rose Levy Beranbaum, but she really taught me (us both!) to bake. Well, she and Betty Crocker, but we don't want to go there.
Maybe we can dig up some biographical information about Maida. I just know from her books that she is from a famous broadcasting family, lives in Florida, and had a wonderful, doting husband like Julia's Paul. And that she's friends with everyone because she always carries brownies in her purse to give away.
Which brings me to the greatest challenge of this baking challenge for both of us, I think--giving this stuff away! We can both bake well--we have the techniques down, and I know my big sister has done the full-fledged buttercream food-styled cakes that I can't be bothered with. But we're both obsessed with our weight and can't be having cakes and pies and brownies sitting around the house. But it's not that easy to give away dessert anymore! Everyone is "on a diet" or whatever. Ugh. So as well as considering the apple pie we're making this weekend, I'm trying to figure out who besides me and my family is going to be eating it. With luck, I'll get to have fun baking and making some lucky people with great metabolisms very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment